Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Thank You Peyton Manning

Now before anyone gets all up in arms let me explain myself. I should also mention that I have not been avidly following the Indianapolis Colts and I am not a Manning devotee. But living in Indiana of course we hear a lot about the team. So why am I thanking Manning.

First I wanted to thank him for showing our youth that you should not “play at all costs”. I know he was playing in pain at least at the end of last season. But even then I don’t remember hearing a lot of hoopla regarding how the pain affected his play. And yes we have been kept up to date with all the other medical updates. He has not rushed to play. Which I know is really hard with the lack of success the team has had this year. There are things that need to be taken seriously regarding your physical health. My son played with young men (high school age) who needed to seek medical attention but didn’t want to sit out even one game. I wonder how they are doing now.

Secondly I wanted to thank Manning for the excellent example of begin a team player. He is active on the sideline doing anything he can to assist the team. He is still actively engaged in watching the plays, analyzing the defense, and giving advice to the quarterback. When I have heard him interviewed after games I haven’t heard him whine about not playing. Or what he would have done if he was in the game. That is the way a team member should support the team no matter if they are unable to play for the season, not having a great game, or are ill. I am sure he has had a lot of down moments but from my seat I have only seen an individual who is working to get healthy and helping his team.

In many offices I see individuals who say they are team players yet they come in sick or they do not perform at the best. They usually have some excuse like “I’ve worked really hard all week so I am going to coast today.” Or they come in sick because they don’t believe that their teammates can cover for them.  Our companies need employees who come in to work and provide their best every day. Learning to work as a team and support each other is a key skill that everyone needs to learn. Manning couldn’t provide the team his skills as a quarterback on the field, but he could provide his knowledge of the game, skill at understanding the other team’s defense, and being present (not sitting on the bench goofing around). I think we should all aspire to be that good of a teammate.

No comments: