Monday, December 05, 2011

It’s Time For Action

Well it has taken almost 3 years before the President actually said something that I agree on. Pres. Obama asked the Congressional Black Caucus to “stop whining.” I don’t necessarily agree with the rest of the speech. But I find the complaints about paying way too much in taxes very interesting. We want to get the government out of our live yet we look for the government to:

  • Pay for our retirement because everyone expects social security to cover our retirement.
  • Pay for people who are not employed for almost 2 years!
  • Pay subsidies to certain industries so that they can be competitive in the global market.
  • Pay for development of advancement in technology or new technology.
  • Pay for research for diseases.
  • Pay for natural disasters.
  • And I am sure there are much more.

I believe it is time for individual action. It time to stop saying:

  • I don’t have time to…
  • I don’t like to….
  • I really don’t want to….
  • It’s not my job….
  • They don’t pay me to ……
  • I shouldn’t have to….

We need to start taking PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY for improving yourself and your organization. If you are not working then you need to go out and get a job. I find it interesting that out of work individuals that I know could get a job but it isn’t the right job. So they would rather sit at home on unemployment instead of going out and working. That is not what the country needs.


In most companies I hear that there is a lack of trust in the organization. But I think that it goes deeper than that. No one wants to take responsibility for anything. Nor do they want to be held accountable. And as I pondered on the topic I began to think that maybe it is even deeper to that. Is it really a cause of lack of loyalty to anyone or anything?


Loyalty is faithfulness or a devotion to a person, country, group, or cause. We have become a society that is not loyal to anything. We are not loyal to our spouse, our company and any more I don’t think most Americans are loyal to our country. 


I believe that if we were loyal then maybe the accountability would be easier to build. But without accountability I do not believe that we can develop trust. We have to be ready to fire people who are not accountable even if they are a good performer. Now you are probably wondering how that could happen. I have seen many times where individuals do not involve others in their work as they are directed to, or they are consistently late, but yet they get the job done. I don’t believe that behavior is good for the company. I would have trouble trusting that individual. I would question his loyalty to my organization. So I would have to let him go. 

I believe as businesses should set accountability structures and hold their people to it. 

No comments: