Friday, November 06, 2009

“I Didn’t Say It Was Your Fault, I Said I Was Going to Blame You”


When I saw this on the front of a tee shirt while shopping with my son I laughed because I thought it was funny. But then I realized it was only funny because it was true.

How often do you feel that you are being blamed for things that aren’t your fault? Or how often are you looking for someone to blame when it was your fault?

Or the bigger question….why? Why do we have to blame someone else? Why don’t we just take the responsibility of our errors?

It might be because there are many who believe that admitting fault is a sign of weakness. If I was wrong how can I be the boss? The chief cannot be wrong, right?

But to me the real issue is -- why. Why do we spend some much time trying to blame someone? Why not spend the time finding the causes for the issues and solving the issues? Because blaming is easier, finding a solution is….well often it’s scary. What if I am really at fault? What if I don’t like the solution? What if….?

Blaming however ends up causing more problems than you think? In organizations that play the blame game you find a culture of hesitation, resentment, fear, and finger pointing. Everyone is looking over their shoulders and afraid to do anything.

I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t want to work like that. I find organizations that have weeded out blame are more creative, productive, and let’s face it more fun.

If you are in the blame game how do you get out? Here’s a start:

1. Recognize that you have a blaming environment.

2. Stop looking for people to blame. Instead start asking “How did this happen?” And don’t be satisfied with the “who” (that’s the blaming part) push for how it happened.

3. Accept responsibility for your own failings and errors. Be the role model.

4. Start recognizing individuals that find process issues, especially before they happen.

These steps are just the beginning of a culture change. It will take a while to get the entire organization to shift. You will need to be strong and dedicated. Take time to celebrate and recognize the positive things that happen in your organizations.

No comments: